- Rick Hansen Culinary Program – update
- Clients can grow their own lettuce with Scotts’ growing kits
- Nissan Canada Foundation expands partnership with The Mississauga Food Bank
- National Volunteer Week 2014 – April 6-12
- Shop The Mississauga Food Bank’s Grocery List this spring
- TMFB is getting fresh eggs!
- Food Purchasing Fund
- Clear the clutter and help families in Mississauga
- CFRE 24-hour Broadcast
- Managing Social Safety Nets
Organize a Community Event or Food Drive
Thank you for your interest in hosting a Community Event to support The Mississauga Food Bank! Whether it’s your goal to collect food, raise funds or a combination of both, Community Events of all sizes play a very important part in raising awareness about hunger in Mississauga and providing the food and funds we need to feed our hungry neighbours.
What To Do?
Community Events are limited only by your imagination – garage sales, scavenger hunts, charity dinners…almost anything! Feel free to use your own ideas, or take a look at some of our ideas.
How to Build an Event with The Mississauga Food Bank
The Ins and Outs of Running a Community Event
If you’re running a food drive as your event, or as part of your event, there are sections on the Community Event Registration Form where you can let us know your goals, whether you need food collection barrels or a food pick-up.
- Decide where you’re going to run your food drive.
- Set goals for how much food you’d like to collect, and decide how you’ll collect it and get it to our warehouse.
- Set a goal in pounds, or aim to fill a lobby, lunchroom or office.
- Generating 100% participation is a goal. Your event can be a great team-building activity!
- We can provide food collection barrels, which hold 300 pounds each, to help with food collection. A barrel will fit in the backseat of a car, so whenever possible, we ask that they be picked up. You are not required to collect food in our barrels. Since we have a limited number, you can also collect food in your own containers or boxes.
- We can only pick up collections greater than 300 pounds, that’s about 30 grocery bags, but we always appreciate collections being dropped off at our warehouse or a local fire station to help us save resources. The more we save, the more we feed!
- Pick ups are included in our weekly truck schedule, which is organized by zones throughout the city. Take a look at our truck route map - if our truck is in your zone, we can arrange a pick up on the corresponding day. Please note that we can only do pick-ups in Mississauga and we do not run our truck on the weekend.
- Zone 1 (L4Z, L4W, L5A, L4Y, L4X, L5E) – Monday
- Zone 2 (L5C, L5B, L5K, L5J, L5H, L5G) – Tuesday
- Zone 4 (L5N, L5M, L5L, L5V, L5R) – Wednesday
- Zone 3 (L4T, L5S, L5P, L5T, L5W) – Thursday
- Promote your drive!
- Encourage people to donate our Most Needed Items
- Tell people about your drive including: co-workers, neighbours and schoolmates.
- If you’re organizing a corporate event, find out if your company will match gifts.
- Use facts about The Mississauga Food Bank to promote your drive. Get facts about us by visiting the ‘Learn’ section of our website.
- Put up posters! Here are some to get you started (in PDF format): Cupboard, Fridge, Lunchbag, Most Needed Items, Spring Drive 2014 - Shop our Grocery List
- Advertise your drive on Facebook, Twitter or other social media sites. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need any tips.
- We will post your event on our online calendar.
- Please send a description of your event (including who, what, where, when, contact information and a link to your website, if applicable) for our website to email@example.com at least two weeks before the event.
- Your description may be edited to fit.
- Track your success, send out emails and post updates to keep everyone excited and involved.
- Drop off your food at your local fire station or our warehouse:
The Mississauga Food Bank
36-2550 Goldenridge Rd
Mississauga, ON L4X 2S3
- Or, if you requested a pick-up on your registration form, you can expect the truck that day. If there are any conflicts, we’ll be in touch to make other arrangements.You can find a map of all Mississauga fire stations here. Please note that financial donations CANNOT be dropped at fire stations. They should be brought to our warehouse.
- Follow up with your participants
- Let everyone know what they contributed to, either in an email, poster or announcement.
- After we receive the donation from a community event, a thank you letter will be sent to the event organizer. We encourage you to duplicate this letter to send it to your donors
If you have any questions about your Community Event, please contact Pamela Sleightholm, Marketing and Fund Development Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 905.270.5589 x227.