AquaGrow Farms Has Launched!
To meet this increasing demand, the food bank has launched its newest program as a creative method of sourcing fresh protein and produce. With the inauguration of this project, we are the first food bank in Canada to open an aquaponics farm!
AquaGrow Farms will produce approximately 645 servings of fish and over 10,000 servings of greens each year. All of the fish and greens will be distributed to member agencies across Mississauga. From there they will be given to hungry members of the community who otherwise would have limited access to fresh, healthy food.
“We are committed to providing our clients with access to healthy and fresh food. We are proud to launch AquaGrow Farms to draw attention the need for fresh food by those who live in poverty”, said Executive Director, Chris Hatch. “By opening this farm, we hope to inspire others to get involved in finding creative solutions to fight hunger in our communities.”
- our funder – Ontario Trillium Foundation
- MPP Damerla’s office
- the vendor and training company who has been so instrumental to our launch – Nelson + Pade
- Donors, volunteers, and other community stakeholders joined us to hear more about this innovative project.
YOU Can Get Involved By:
- Donating healthy food items to food drives, ensuring nutritious options for our hungry neighbours
- Giving financial donations to help The Mississauga Food Bank purchase and source additional healthy foods
- Come for a visit! We hold interactive, educational tours every 3rd Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. Please RSVP to Colin Cotton at email@example.com or 905-270-5589 x231. If you are interested in bringing a school, corporate or community group for a tour at another time, please contact Colin to arrange a date and time. We even have a specialized tour just for kids!
- Volunteering: Please visit our Volunteer Calendar to register for any posted AquaGrow Farms volunteer opportunities.
- Stay up-to-date at themississaugafoodbank.org/aquagrow
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.