Start your week with a taste of the Mediterranean. Today’s #MightyMeals features a delicious and simple recipe for a Moroccan Harira Soup. With something this tasty, you’ll have all the energy you need to rice and shine!
Harira Soup: 4 servings
- 3 tbsp basmati rice
- 1/4 cup chickpeas
- 3 tbsp red lentils
- 1/2 onion
- 2 rib celery
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- 1 (28 fl. oz) canned tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt and pepper
- Cut ½ an onion and celery to small dice.
- Soak lentils in cold water. Grate fresh ginger.
- Toast all your spices and grind them up in either a pestle and mortar, or coffee grinder. (Note: you can also use ground spices)
- In a medium sized pot, soften the diced onion for 3-5 minutes on low heat with 3 tbsp of oil. Add diced celery and saute on low heat for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add ginger and spices, add the can of tomatoes with 2 cups of water. Stir and bring to boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, drained lentils and rice. Simmer for another 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.