Connect with your team and support our community
Since the pandemic began, we’ve seen a record number of food bank visits in Mississauga and will require additional support from volunteers to keep up with demand. Join us this fall to reconnect with your team during a volunteer shift at The Mississauga Food Bank.
Corporations are required to make a minimum donation of $100 per person to book a corporate volunteer shift.
COVID-19 Vaccine Policy:
The Mississauga Food Bank is committed to providing and maintaining a workplace that is free of recognized hazards to safeguard the health and well-being of staff and their families, volunteers, clients, and others who spend time in our facility from the risks associated with COVID-19.
Effective September 7, 2021 – All volunteers are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before volunteering. Volunteers are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the second dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine.
To read the full policy, click here. If you have questions or a written, approved medical exemption from the vaccine, please email email@example.com.
As recommended by Health Canada and the World Health Organization, we have implemented guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19 including:
- Increased sanitation
- Physical distancing
- Reduced building capacity
- PPE for staff and volunteers
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, do not visit The Mississauga Food Bank if you have:
- Traveled abroad within the past 14 days.
- Been exposed to COVID-19 within the last 14 days.
- Difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, a high temperature, cough, or sore throat.
If you already have a shift booked and wish to re-schedule it for a later date, please notify your point of contact at The Mississauga Food Bank.
Help to animate and operate a Community Food Market serving food bank clients in high priority neighborhoods, offering fresh fruits and vegetables in a welcoming outdoor setting.
- Setting up tables, tents, and signage for the market.
- Assisting with unloading produce from the delivery vehicle and setting it up on tables.
- You will engage with clients through friendly service-oriented conversation while providing them with fresh food.
- You will complete client intake using link 2 Feed on provided laptops and tablets.
- Following the market, you will assist with tear down and clean up and returning any product left onto The Mississauga Food Bank vehicles.
- Volunteer hours for the Community Food Markets are Thursdays from 10 am – 3:30 p.m.
- Volunteers do not need prior experience but must be comfortable
engaging with clients face to face.
- Must be 19+ years of age.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Fluency in English.
- An additional language will be an asset (Arabic, Spanish, Urdu, Punjabi, Tamil, Polish, or another language)
- Ability to stand for 2- 4 hours.
- Ability to work outdoors in a variety of weather- rain or shine.
- Ability to lift small boxes/bags of fruits and vegetables – about 20 to 30 lbs.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Patience and understanding/sensitivity to unique client needs.
- Covid-19 Vaccine required.
Varies; approximately 5 hours a week from September 23rd to November 11th, 2021- Thursdays from 10:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Training relevant to the role will be provided onsite.
- Participate in outdoor food markets serving the community.
- Gain experience and insight into poverty and hunger issues in Mississauga.