Help to animate and operate a Community Food Market serving food bank clients in high-priority neighbourhoods, offering fresh fruits and vegetables in a welcoming outdoor setting.
COVID-19 Vaccine Policy:
Effective September 7, 2021 – All volunteers are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before volunteering. Volunteers are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the second dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine. To read the full policy, click here.
If you have questions or a written, approved medical exemption from the vaccine, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Provide leadership and direction in the animation of the Community Market
- Coordinate with warehouse operations for delivery of food, supplies and equipment
- Direct all activities at the Community Market site
- Direct set up of tables, tents and signage for the market
- Assist with Covid-19 screening for participants
- Assist with unloading food, equipment and supplies from the delivery vehicle and oversee setup
- Engage with clients through friendly service-oriented conversation while providing them with fresh food
- Complete client intake using Link 2 Feed on provided laptops and tablets
- Lead and direct teardown and clean up of the market event and coordinate return of any remaining product left back to The Mississauga Food Bank
- Volunteer hours for the Community Market are Thursdays from 10:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Leadership or supervisory experience
- Must be 19+ years of age
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Fluency in English
- An additional language will be an asset (Arabic, Spanish, Urdu, Punjabi, Tamil, Polish or another language)
- Ability to stand for 2- 4 hours
- Ability to work outdoors in a variety of weather- rain or shine
- Ability to lift small boxes/bags of fruits and vegetables – about 20 to 30 lbs
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Patience and understanding/sensitivity to unique client needs
- Covid-19 Vaccine required
Malton Community Garden (Elmcreek Park).
One set day per week, approximately 8 hours a week from August to October 2022.
Remote supervision and support provided.
Must have own transportation or access to transit.
- Training relevant to the role will be provided
- Participate in outdoor food markets serving the community
- Gain experience and insight into poverty and hunger issues in Mississauga