Assist The Mississauga Food Bank with providing direct customer service and food to clients in need during the COVID-19 pandemic.
COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
Effective September 7, 2021 – All volunteers are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before volunteering. Volunteers are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the second dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine. To read the full policy, click here.
If you have questions or a written, approved medical exemption from the vaccine, please email email@example.com.
- Arrive at your shift on time and proceed to check-in at the computer.
- Wash your hands.
- Ensure outside signage is secured in place.
- Check with staff to ensure you have all the produce available for the day (it varies every day)
- Connect with Wendy (Operations Volunteer Lead) who is in charge of bringing you frozen and fresh food.
- Organize fresh produce nicely.
- Greet food bank clients with a smile and assist them as needed. Acknowledge client need with respect and empathy.
- Give 1 box per 1 person.
- Enter visits in the Link 2 Feed database (everyone is trained so you can alternate with your partner)
- Refer clients to their local food bank, specifying addresses, phone numbers, and hours of operation (hand out the printed form to them)
- Ensure the Drive-Thru 4 Food area is constantly replenished, clean, organized, tidy, and safe.
- Follow food bank policy guidelines, social distancing and refer to Programs Manager for support as needed.
- Perform additional tasks as directed by staff partner (Pack bulk food, etc)
- At the end of the shift, proceed to store food items in the freezer and fridge accordingly.
- Wash your hands.
- Check out on the computer.
- Bring the signs back in (if your shift is at the end of the day)
- Excellent customer service skills.
- 18 years or older and able to manually lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to follow directions well.
- Data entry and excellent computer skills.
- Attention to detail and excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team with a positive attitude.
- Experience working in a warehouse will be an asset.
- Another language would be an asset.
- Vulnerable Police Check.
- Provide 2 references.
- Provide proof of 2nd shot vaccination.
The Mississauga Food Bank Office – 3121 Universal Drive, Mississauga, ON
One 3-hour shift/week (Monday to Friday) minimum from 9:30 am -12:00 pm or 1:00 pm – 4:30 pm.
Ongoing, hands-on training and support.
Participate actively in providing food to neighbours in need. Build valuable experience and develop your food knowledge and organizational skills while making a difference in your community.
We value the contributions of our volunteers, so we have a professional workspace, up-to-date technology, and a lunchroom with all the tea or coffee you can drink!
As part of its commitment to racial justice and reconciliation, The Mississauga Food Bank encourages candidates who are Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour to apply for this position. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.