- Our involvement in your event must be clear and agreed upon in advance. Please ensure that you have registered by using our Food Drive/Fundraiser Registration Form.
- Pick ups and deliveries are organized by zones throughout the city. Please look at our truck route map to determine when we will be in your area. We can arrange a pickup or delivery only on the days when our truck is in your zone.
- If you’re planning on creating any materials to promote your event, please send a copy to email@example.com before printing. We must approve any use of The Mississauga Food Bank logo and name.
- We appreciate every food drive and fundraiser that our supporters run. However, because, of volume, we aren’t able to arrange or attend a cheque presentation for every event.
- The Mississauga Food Bank does not endorse any companies, religious organizations, political parties or candidates, or service groups and it must not be portrayed as doing so.
- Donations cannot be used to cover event costs.
- Community event organizers are responsible for all event expenses and corporate sponsorship, if desired.
- Organizers are also solely responsible for any sponsor or donor recognition.
- Donations and proceeds from the event should be made payable to The Mississauga Food Bank – event sponsorship payments should not.
- We are unable to use our charitable registration number to get discount pricing on event costs.
- Food drive and fundraiser proceeds will be used in areas of greatest need unless previously written indication has been given to the Director of Development.
- We cannot guarantee media coverage for a food drive or fundraiser.
- We generally do not have t-shirts, memorabilia, prizes or banners for events. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about options for larger events.
Information About Tax Receipts
- It’s important to know rules about tax receipting before planning your event. The requirements for receipting are extensive and time-consuming – you may decide that it’s better not to offer them if you expect only a few.
- It is the organizer’s responsibility to communicate decisions about receipting to the participants. Be sure you have discussed your situation in detail with food bank staff and understand what you can and cannot offer.
- In general, if an individual or corporation receives any benefit from their contribution a tax receipt is not issued. Benefits could include: a meal, alcohol, a chance to bid on auction items, entertainment, parking, advertising etc.
- Tax receipts are not issued to event sponsors.
- It is important to consider whether receiving a tax receipt is important to your participants.
- If no, you will be saving yourself and The Mississauga Food Bank time and resources. We’re happy to provide a thank you letter confirming a gift rather than issuing a tax receipt.
- If yes, then be sure to review the provided information about receipting and talk with food bank staff to confirm your plans.
The Mississauga Food Bank will issue tax receipts for donations of $10 or more if:
- Your Food Drive/Fundraiser Registration Form has been submitted and approved.
- You provide a complete and legible list of donors, including:
- First and last name
- Address, city, and postal code
- Amount donated
- Amount the tax receipt is to be issued for
- List and value of any benefits received for donation, at fair market value
- The tax receipt information and donations are received within 60 days of your event. Tax receipts dated for the year of your event are only possible if all money and information are received before December 31 of that year.
- The tax receipt is being issued to the person who made the donation. For example, if the organizer collects cash donations totaling $100 but writes a cheque to The Mississauga Food Bank for $100 instead, we require a list of the individual donors for receipting. We will not issue a receipt to the organizer.
- The guidelines for your event have been followed.
If you have any further questions, please contact email@example.com.