About the role
Help to set up and operate a Community Food Market serving food bank clients in high-priority neighbourhoods, offering fresh fruits and vegetables in a welcoming outdoor setting.
- Provide leadership and direction in the running of the Community Market.
- Direct all activities at the Community Market site.
- Direct set up of tables, tents and signage for the market.
- Coordinate with warehouse operations for delivery of food, supplies and equipment.
- Assist with unloading food, equipment and supplies from the delivery vehicle and oversee setup.
- Engage with clients through friendly service-oriented conversation while providing them with fresh food.
- Complete client intake using Link 2 Feed on provided laptops and tablets.
- Lead and direct teardown and clean up of the market event and coordinate return of any remaining product left back to The Mississauga Food Bank.
- Assist with Covid-19 screening for participants as needed.
- Leadership or supervisory experience.
- Must be 19+ years of age.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Fluency in English.
- An additional language will be an asset (Arabic, Spanish, Urdu, Punjabi, Tamil, Polish or another language).
- Ability to stand for 2- 4 hours.
- Ability to work outdoors in a variety of weather- rain or shine.
- Ability to lift small boxes/bags of fruits and vegetables – about 20 to 30 pounds.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Patience and understanding/sensitivity to unique client needs.
- Must have own transportation or access to transit.
- Important Consideration: For those with food allergies, please be advised you will be potentially exposed to all types of food.
- Covid-19 Vaccine required.
- Participate in outdoor food markets to serve the community.
- Gain experience and insight into poverty and hunger issues in Mississauga.
One set day per week, approximately 8 hours a week. (The Community Market will run on Thursdays, subject to change.)
From August to October 2022.
Malton Community Garden (Elmcreek Park).
Our Application Process
Complete and submit the application form above.
Our Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to chat further about the role and your availability.
If you are confirmed for a role, our Volunteer Coordinator will provide details for training, onboarding and how to create your account in our Volunteer Hub platform.
If this volunteer role sounds like the right fit for you, apply now!
More Volunteer Opportunities
If you would like to see other available volunteer opportunities, please click below!