About the role
Help to set up and operate a Community Food Market serving food bank clients in high-priority neighbourhoods, offering fresh fruits and vegetables in a welcoming outdoor setting.
- Setting up tables, tents and signage for the market.
- Assisting with unloading produce from the delivery vehicle and setting it up on tables.
- You will engage with clients through friendly service oriented conversation while providing them with fresh food.
- You will complete client intake using tablets- if needed.
- Following the market, you will assist with tear down and clean up and returning any product left onto The Mississauga Food Bank's vehicles.
- Volunteer hours for the Community Food Markets are one set day per week from 10:00 a.m - 4:00 p.m.
- Volunteers do not need prior experience but must be comfortable engaging with clients face to face.
- Must be 19+ years of age.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Fluency in English.
- An additional language will be an asset (Arabic, Spanish, Urdu, Punjabi, Tamil, Polish or another language).
- Ability to stand for 2- 4 hours.
- Ability to work outdoors in a variety of weather- rain or shine.
- Ability to lift small boxes/bags of fruits and vegetables – about 20 to 30 pounds.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Patience and understanding/sensitivity to unique client needs.
- Important Consideration: For those with food allergies, please be advised you will be potentially exposed to all types of food.
- Covid-19 Vaccine required.
- Training relevant to the role will be provided onsite.
- Gain experience and insight into poverty and hunger issues in Mississauga.
- Participate in outdoor food markets serving the community.
Our Application Process
Complete and submit the application form above.
Our Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to chat further about the role and your availability.
If you are confirmed for a role, our Volunteer Coordinator will provide details for training, onboarding and how to create your account in our Volunteer Hub platform.
If this volunteer role sounds like the right fit for you, apply now!
More Volunteer Opportunities
If you would like to see other available volunteer opportunities, please click below!