About the role
Help to communicate important information to community groups using sign language.
- Provide a full range of interpreting/transliterating services for deaf/hard of hearing volunteers and/or program participants.
- Hearing interpreters: effectively interpret between American Sign Language (ASL) and spoken English.
- Deaf interpreters: effectively interpret between ASL, Tactile American Sign Language, other forms of visual communication, and written English.
- Provide excellent customer service while maintaining a respectful and professional attitude with volunteer participants and staff/colleagues.
- Educate staff on deaf culture and interpreting services.
- Display a broad knowledge of language skills in American Sign Language and English.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate with both hearing and deaf audiences.
- Open-minded with a desire to work with the I/DD community.
- A flexible and supportive approach toward working with teams.
- Patience and understanding/sensitivity to unique client needs.
- COVID-19 Vaccine required.
- Gain experience and skills in ASL.
- Gain experience and insight into poverty and hunger issues in Mississauga.
As per request - 3 hours a month from Monday to Friday.
As per request.
3121 Universal Drive. Mississauga, Ontario.
Our Application Process
Complete and submit the application form above.
Our Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to chat further about the role and your availability.
If you are confirmed for a role, our Volunteer Coordinator will provide details for training, onboarding and how to create your account in our Volunteer Hub platform.
If this volunteer role sounds like the right fit for you, apply now!
More Volunteer Opportunities
If you would like to see other available volunteer opportunities, please click below!