About the role
Provide people who visit The Mississauga Food Bank agencies, including food banks, in Mississauga with accurate income tax preparation and benefit returns.
- Complete client screening to assess compatibility with the program as required.
- Complete income tax returns in accordance with and using the Canada Revenue Agency supplied computer software (UFILE) and training.
- Ensure all tax filings and associated processes are completed in a timely manner.
- Speak with clients over the phone, Zoom or in person for client intake and tax filing appointments.
- Ask those filing their taxes for clarification of information as necessary.
- Utilize the CVITP hotline for any on-the-job queries regarding particular returns.
- Report concerns to the program coordinator.
- Possess a good understanding of our tax system, and the process of filing returns.
- Ability to work with the public or vulnerable populations.
- Competence using computers.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Empathy, patience and understanding/sensitivity to unique client needs.
- Having one or more years of experience involved with tax clinics would be an asset.
- Speaking an additional language is an asset (Arabic, Spanish, Urdu, Punjabi, Tamil, Polish or other language).
- Experience with completing taxes is an asset.
- Covid-19 Vaccine required.
- Helping others in the community.
- Personal satisfaction.
- Increase your tax knowledge.
- Gain new skills and improve on existing ones.
- A certificate of accomplishment provided by CRA.
- A letter of acknowledgment provided by The Mississauga Food Bank.
Our Application Process
Complete and submit the application form above.
Our Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to chat further about the role and your availability.
If you are confirmed for a role, our Volunteer Coordinator will provide details for training, onboarding and how to create your account in our Volunteer Hub platform.
If this volunteer role sounds like the right fit for you, apply now!
More Volunteer Opportunities
If you would like to see other available volunteer opportunities, please click below!